Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Frank Lloyd Wright childhood motivation chair

Here's a little bit of photos and story behind the ikea chair show. ( Kevin O'Callaghan is the one with the funky mustache and the hat) So I get Frank Lloyd Wright photo when he was a kid. After reading few of his books and biography it turned out that his mother introduced him to froebel blocks. The ancestor of lego. It was a new invention at early 20th century. That's got him into structures and triggered his passion to architecture later when he became adolescense. My initial idea was to cut the ikea chair into tiny modular blocks with angles and silinders and turned it into a real froebel blocks. After few discussions with O'Callaghan, we agreed that the end result should still be a chair, so i adapted the idea and turned the chair into a tinker toy. I drilled holes for dowels to fit in and I created a series of structure variantions out of the chair. Something that some talented child like Wright would enjoy doing if his chair were a tinker toy. It seems endless to create variations out of these. I had much fun I couldn't stop making new compositions and configurations.

No comments: